Are you looking for a new fly pattern? The Cicada Fly Pattern is the most loved in the world. It’s the perfect fly for anyone who wants to do more with their fishing flies. And now it comes in two sizes–so there’s a Cicada Pattern for everyone.
The problem with most fly fish food is that they are expensive and don’t work very well.
This makes it hard to decide which ones you should buy when starting or need more options in your box.We created this ultimate guide so that anyone can learn how to tie their cicada patterns at home!
These flies use inexpensive materials, are easy to make, and work great on trout across North America!
This guide will teach everything from picking the correct hook size and tying thread colors while sharing our favorite top cicada fly patterns for sale along the way!
Top 5 Cicada dry fly patterns (cicada fly pattern for sale)
- SythFly Cicada Fishing Flies Multi-Pack
- Trout Fly Assortment – Essential Terrestrials Fly Fishing Flies Collection
- Blue-Winged Olive Dry Fly – 6 Pack
- YZD Fly Fishing Flies Realistic Dry Wet Nymph Kits 12/26/48 Pcs
- Foam Hoppers Dry Fly Assortment #2-10 Dry Fishing Grasshopper Flies
What You’ll Need for Cicada fly pattern:
1. A Few Different Colors of Thread – We recommend using a light color for the body and head and a darker color for wings and legs. (We also add some yellow thread)
2. Cicada Pattern Hooks – The most common size is size 10, but you can use smaller flies if you’re fishing smaller rivers. Some people even prefer size 12 on slower-moving, clear water to get the fly down where the fish are holding
3. Wire – Use black wire for the legs and yellow wire for wings (regular office pin works great)
4. Cicada Pattern Bead Head – We recommend using red beads, but green beads work too.
5. Smaller Weight – This can be a bead head or a piece of lead wire folded over on itself. (optional)
6. Some Artificial Bait – We recommend using some pieces of nightcrawlers, but mealworms will work great too!
How do you tie a cicada fly pattern? (4 Easy Steps to tie Cicada fly)
1. First, you will need some wire for legs, and thread for the fly’s body is essential because they are used to make this cicada pattern very attractive.
2. Take the thread in your right hand, then start making a half hitch on top of the hook shank and make this half hitch very tight.
3. Now repeat the same procedure and make one more half hitch behind the previous one, so the total you have made two half hitches on the hook shank.
4. follow the steps given in the tutorial to complete tying cicada fly patterns. There are many different cicada fly patterns, but this is a straightforward basic one to grasp quickly.
Tying the Cicada patterns is an art, and it requires a lot of practice. There are many benefits to using cicada fly like they can be used as wet or dry flies, you can fish them during day time also at night time with fire tippet. They are very commonly used in the northeast region of America. They are effortless to be tied at home with simple tools.
Tying the Cicada fly patterns is not a difficult task. You can efficiently complete tying cicada fly within 15 minutes if you follow the tutorial step by step correctly. If you want to go river fishing, this fly is the best option because they are straightforward to cast with small rods.
I hope you will get success in tying cicada fly if you follow these steps correctly. These are best for beginners; also, they are used on many types of rivers where the water is not too fast or too slow to flow. This cicada patterns has become the most favorite of fishing lovers in the last few years.
It is very effective in rivers located in the northeast region of America; you will get success if you try this cicada pattern on your favorite river. Many famous fishing experts have been using this cicada fly for a long time, almost every year. Their specialty is river fishing using dry flies, and they are very successful in it, so they choose to use this cicada pattern which is very popular in rivers of the northeast region.
How to pick hooks for the cicada fly pattern?
USE SIZE 10 OR 12 HOOKS (SIZE 1 OR 2 WILL WORK TOO) There are many benefits of using cicada fly like they can be used as wet or dry flies, you can fish them during day time also at night time with fire tippet. They are very commonly used in the northeast region of America. They are straightforward to be tied at home with simple tools.
Recomended cicada fishing lure kits:
- Package: You will get 5pcs topwater bass lures, each fishing lure...
- Good quality hard baits: Made of high quality ABS plastic, strong...
- Lifelike Appearance: 3D realistic eye design and cicada-shaped...
- Built-in steel balls: Each topwater bait is equipped with steel...
- This fishing bait with two propeller ,appearance looks attractive...
- The Hooks are made up of professional high strength material. It...
- The lure unique buoyancy properties , combined with two carefully...
- The lure works best when cast and retrieved with an up tempo...
- 🎣 Life-like Lures, look like the real cicada, stereo 3D...
- 🎣 Weight: 6g/0.2oz, length: 4cm/1.6", lightweight and...
- 🎣 Made of high-quality material, the strong and sharp barb...
- 🎣 Easy to use. The main method is to recycle at a uniform...
- CAUTION ON USE:The lure weighs 6.4 grams/0.2 ounces and measures...
- VIBRANT COLORS:Fishing Bait is designed with vibrant colors to...
- LOUD RATTLING SOUNDS: A notable feature of this lure is that each...
- STRONG WIRE CONSTRUCTION:Durability is crucial for a fishing...
- The cicada lure luminous in the dark, perfect combination can...
- SIZE - Weight: 6.0g/0.2oz, Length: 5.0cm/2.0". Color: 5 Different...
- Built-in gravity ball the ball is always rolling when dumping...
- PAINTED FINISHES - Extured translucent body, Lifelike fish scale...
- Made in United States
- Package dimensions :1.27 cm (H) x 11.43 cm (L) x 3.302 cm (W)
- Package Weight :0.01 lbs
- Product type :SPORTING GOODS
- MAXIMUM DURABILITY:Strong wire construction of fishing bait for...
- 3D HOLOGRAPHIC EYES:3D holographic eyes making cicada bait more...
- SCOPE OF APPLICATION:The bait is widely used for predatory fish,...
- PRODUCT CONFIGURATION:Each Fishing Lure comes with 2 treble...
- Pack of ultra-realistic Cicada fly fishing flies with two size...
- NEW type of fishing flies - lifelike & durable unlike...
- Made of fully synthetic materials
- Laser-etched lifelike body wing markings
- [SPIN BAIT] This fishing bait with two propeller ,appearance...
- [ATTRACT FISH] The lure unique buoyancy properties , combined...
- [DURABLE]The hook made of quality material, can bear strong...
- [FAST SPEED] The lure works best when cast and retrieved with an...
- High-quality: Made of premium plastic material,DEILAI fishing...
- Innovative Spiral Propeller Design: Featuring a unique propeller...
- Double Hook Design: Equipped with three hooks at the tail and...
- Versatile Colors: Available in vibrant yellow, blue, and green...
How to fish cicada fly pattern? (Fishing Cicada)
1. First, you need to prepare yourself for fishing and select the right place where the big fish are waiting for your flight.
2. Second step is to choose your favorite way of getting into the water, like wading or stand-up paddleboarding (SUP).
3. Once you are in the water, choose the right fly according to the season and size of the fish. The one thing that makes this dry cicada fly very practical is it has deer hair wings which are feathery that helps them to float on top of the water.
4. You can toss your line using the roll cast method; make sure to make your line as straight as possible.
5. Allow your fly to sink and touch the water surface like a real cicada would do. As soon as you detect any take or hit on your fly, you need to set yourself for fishing because once cicada hits, they will not stay there very long.
6. Retrieve your line slowly and use long pauses to interest the fish in your fly. This will give them enough time to inspect it. If nothing happens, then take few steps downstream and repeat the same process.
7. You should know that these cicadae are very effective during early summer or fall. Cicada should be fished on a dead drift with slow to medium speed. Sometimes it helps to use a small indicator above the cicada fly like pheasant tail nymph or scud. Still, you can also go without any additional indicators and use your dry fly line as an indicator.
8. As soon as you feel that a big fish took your dry fly, wait a few seconds before setting the hook. You should feel some weight or take on your leader as soon as the fish takes your cicada fly.
Tying thread colors for the cicada fly pattern
Use colors like black, brown, orange, or tan. There are many benefits to using cicada fly like they can be used as wet or dry flies, you can fish them during day time also at night time with fire tippet. They are very commonly used in the northeast region of America. They are effortless to be tied at home with simple tools.
Cicada fly fish food is popular among river fishing lovers of America. You can use these cicada patterns for both wet and dry flies. It is effortless to be tied at home with simple tools; you can choose favorite colors for tying thread-like black, brown, orange, or tan, etc.
Tying brood x cicada fly pattern
Tying a brood x cicada fly pattern can seem like an impossible task. The time and materials involved in making this fly pattern are too much of a hassle for most anglers even to attempt it.
It is possible to tie your own Cicada brood x imitation on the cheap, but there’s no easy way to do this without spending hours on research and practice.
This video tutorial will show you how to tie the brood x cicada fly pattern with ease. Now anyone can make their Cicada imitation!
5 Best Patterns for a Wonderful Cicada Hatch (easy cicada fly pattern)
SythFly Cicada Fishing Flies Multi-Pack
SythFly Cicada fly fishing flies – the next generation in game-changing gear! You’ll never go back to traditionally tied patterns once you use SythFly’s synthetic, durable flies.
With two size options, this pack of 6 is perfect for exploring rivers and streams with many birds looking for an easy meal of insects like cicadas or damselflies.
They’re lightweight, realistic & lifelike – six for the price of four (we insist) -! and what you need to bring them to come alive is your favorite fly rod. (2) 4″ (10 cm) flies per package.
Essential Terrestrials Fly Fishing Flies Collection – Trout Flies with Fly Box
This essential collection is all you need to match the perfect size, pattern, and floatation to your favorite trout, smallmouth bass, or panfish.
These soft feathers are premium quality and will not let your prey escape before you hook them! With twelve patterns (one of each listed below), this set is a must-have for any fly angler who wants to make sure they have what they need at their fingertips.
Whether it’s an unplanned fishing expedition or just looking for some backups on your shelf, this fly box assortment has got all the essentials. Perfect as an introductory gift for someone who loves their sport
YZD Realistic cicada dry fly patterns Fishing Flies, Wet Nymph 12/26/48 Pcs
YZD Fly Fishing Flies is your best choice for wet and dry flies fishing. Our revolutionary high simulation design makes fish unable to distinguish and easy to catch.
With a large variety of flies available, our product line is suitable for every season and environment. Our world-class hook material ensures maximum sharpness and durability, which increases the probability of obtaining more fish.
The Fly Fishing Place Basics Collection – foam cicada fly pattern
The Fly Fish Place Basics Collection is the perfect fly fish kit for beginner and expert fly anglers that enables you to fish with confidence due to its wide variety of classic trout flies.
The collection consists of 10 insects in a dry fly style, all hook size 10 – no need to find this information when you’re on the water! Just take your time assembling them over productive-looking waters, watch the show as they drift below an evening sky or through an autumn morning mist.
Trout will bust out from every direction because these are tried-and-true traditional patterns that have been proven many times before. If it’s not already expected by now, this bundle contains two each of Orange Godzilla Hopper, Cicada, Gypsy King, and Black B.
Blue Wing Olive Cicada Imitations dry fly – 6 pack
Whether you are fishing in the morning or evening, this diverse assortment of buoyant insects will be your best friend on the water.
The stackable packaging is both convenient and space-saving. You can wear out a fish with these or fish until dusk without having to worry about running out of bait.
Clear Cicada fly fish flies – the next generation of fly fishing gear! You’ll never go back to traditionally tied patterns once you use SythFly’s synthetic, durable flies.
With two size options, this pack of 6 is perfect for exploring rivers and streams with many birds looking for an easy meal of insects like cicadas.
How to tie the 17-year cicada fly pattern? (Cicada flies tying)
Learning to tie the 17-year cicada fly pattern can be tricky at first, but with a bit of patience and practice, you’ll soon master it.
This video tutorial will help you make this famous autumn/winter insect look like magic bugs from related species: Periodical Cicadas Magicicada septendecim (1917), Magicicada Cassini (1972), or any other kind!
The large-sized mature nymph is the final stage before the cicadas emerge from the ground after 17 years of living underground, then mate and lay eggs.
We will start with tying materials:
- Saddle hackle (red & brown)
- Peacock herl
- Pheasant tail fibers
- Silver wire
- Schlappen feather fibers (optional)
- Chenille of your choice
You can substitute the saddle hackle with other feathers like partridge, coq de Leon, etc. Still, in this example, I use red and brown saddle hackles because, in my opinion, they are good colors to imitate cicada nymphs.
The peacock herl is also optional because it’s not easy to find, but it’s a nice feature that makes your fly more attractive. If you have old peacock herl lying around the house, this is an excellent opportunity to use them up. The pheasant tail fibers are optional, but they are pretty helpful because they look like the cicada nymph’s legs.
The other materials are all available in any fly tying material shop. I use a monofilament nylon thread for this kind of flies because it’s robust and durable in fast water currents.
You can use a mixture of dubbing from your favorite brands with some pearl Krystal Flash to imitate the body features for the cicada nymphs.
How do you fish a cicada fly? (cicada fly pattern recipe)
They are brutal flies to fish within mountain brooks and streams. Your best chance is when you see cicadas flying above the water surface.
Cast your fly across-stream or downstream with a dead drift technique where you keep your rod tip low so that the fly drifts close to the bottom. If you use an indicator and a strike indicator, you can see when the fish bites your cicada fly.
There are many other ways to imitate and fish the periodical cicadas, but this is one of them that works for me. It doesn’t require much skill or technique, just simply tying and casting. Good luck!
What is the difference between 17-year cicadas and annual cicadas?
The life cycles of periodical and annual cicadas are pretty different.
Annuals spend their time as nymphs eating underground, emerging every year to mate before dying off again after laying eggs in the soil where they were born; this cycle can take about two years or less depending on the fish species.
A periodic cicada hatches called a “periodical” because its development depends heavily upon environmental cues such that it usually takes 13-17 years from hatching until reaching maturity.
Unlike most insects which feed at ground level during adulthood but emerge crepuscularly out into daylit hours if there’s any visible sun overhead–being nocturnal by nature!–period bugs tunnel through dark soil to feed as nymphs underground. Once a year, they swarm above ground to mate and lay eggs in the crevices of trees, rocks, and other objects that offer them support.
How long does it take a cicada to hatch?
The mystery of how these insects emerge after such long periods without any sightings has been solved! When it’s time for cicadas to reign again, don’t forget your umbrella as these noisy creatures can be heard around your neighborhood–and all over social media too.
Cicada hatch depends on the species and environmental conditions. Cicada hatch takes 6 to 8 weeks to develop, and she expects them will begin hatching in late July or early August. At this point, tiny nymphs drop from the treetops burrow into the ground below for roots they feed on while awaiting their subsequent emergence.
The 17-year cicada is one of the longest living insects in the United States, with a life span of approximately 5-7 weeks after emerging from the ground. Cicadas are excellent flyers and can cover significant distances in search of mates.
They emerge every 17 years to mate above ground in backyards, parks, and golf courses. It feeds by sucking the fluids from tree branches, shrubs, and grasses, causing no apparent damage to the plant.
Cicadas are not known to bite or sting humans (unless you hold one too long).
A Cicada Hatch is when Cicadas come out of the ground after overwintering for 17 years. Cicada Hatch lasts only a few weeks, but the Cicadas live for 5-7 weeks after Cicada Hatch. Cicadas live for a few weeks, so by the time you see Cicadas in your yard or neighborhood, Cicada Hatch is already over.
With the Cicada Fly Pattern, You Won’t Be Able to Resist. You can easily imitate cicadas and catch trout. The excellent point is that it only takes a few minutes to tie your own at home! We hope this post has helped you select the correct hook size for these flies and taught you how to choose thread colors when tying them. If there are any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact expert fly anglers. Happy fishing!
You might also like: