How do you Store a Kayak When you live in an Apartment? If you live in a small apartment, it can be hard to store your kayak.
There are many ways that you could store your kayak in an apartment without having to resort to expensive and bulky storage units. Kayaks are large, yet there are many ingenious ways you can store them.
When storing your kayak in an apartment, choose how you store it methodically.
Here is how you can store your kayak in an apartment using the space around it effectively.
First of all, if possible, try to keep your kayak indoors during the winter months when they’re not being used.
This will help prevent damage from moisture and freezing temperatures.
Top 5 kayak Racks for Storage Units
- Kayak Storage Apartment Rack – Freestanding, 175 Weight Capacity – Indoor & Outdoor
- RAD Sportz Double Kayak Storage Rack- with Adjustable Safety Strap System
- StoreYourBoard 2 Kayak Ceiling Rack, Overhead Mount, Adjustable
- RaxGo Freestanding Kayak Rack, Heavy Duty Storage for Two-Kayak
- Wallmaster Kayak Storage Hooks Hangers, Adjustable Kayak Storage Rack Wall Mount
Can you store a kayak in an apartment?
Kayaks are large, but there’s a number of ingenious ways you can store them. You could use pulley systems to hang the kayak from your garage’s ceiling or in an apartment living room.
However, if you live in a small apartment, it can be hard to find somewhere that will fit a full-size kayak or even space for storing a kayak in an apartment. In cities where people don’t have cars and need to store things like bikes, there’s no room for a kayak inside a small apartment.
There are many types of kayaks, from recreational ones to racing ones that can fit two or three people at the same time. If you’re buying one of these bigger kayaks, it’s going to be an additional challenge trying to find somewhere that’s appropriate for the size of it.
When storing your kayak in an apartment, choose how you store it methodically. Be organized and think ahead about how much space you have available.
Where to Store Kayak Apartment?
Where to store kayak? storing kayak in an apartment can be a challenge. However, there are some tips and tricks you can use to keep it safe and secure.
First and foremost, try to store your kayak on an elevated platform or structure. This will keep the boat away from the ground, where it would be vulnerable to theft or accidental damage.
If a makeshift system is impossible to set up, tying your kayak off high up might help protect it from that same ground-level threat. Be sure to use solid ropes or straps resistant to weathering effects to not decrease their effectiveness over time.
Secondarily, make sure you have somewhere safe to store your kayak when not in use – inside the apartment (if space allows) or outside under some sheltering material like weather-proof tarpaulin sheeting or similar materials that won’t degrade with exposure over time.
When storing kayaks outdoors, try using bungee cords – they hold tension better than ropes making them less likely to slip when the wind picks up unexpectedly!
Finally, It is recommended that whatever storage solution you select should allow for easy access both into and out of the vessel when needed, meaning you should ensure there is enough room for yourself/others who will want access but also enough space between other boats/storage items. Hence, as not risk any damage due to poor planning!
How do you store a kayak when you live in an apartment?
How do you store a kayak indoors? We recommend installing a cockpit cover before storing your sit-inside kayaks.
Similar to the storage of sit on top, deck side down with padded bars or straps that will dampen any pressure points is key when it comes to long-term apartment kayak storage.
Covering the kayak for long periods of time will also help prevent mold and mildew growth.
How to store a sit-on-top kayak?
When it comes to storing your sit-on-top kayaks (and somehow storing a canoe), it’s important that you ensure the cockpit area is dry before storage.
Tips on How to Store Kayak in Apartment: (Ideas for storing kayak in apartment)
- Find a place for your kayak in the living room, kitchen, or bedroom
- Keep your kayak on its side and use a large rug to protect it from scratches
- Put some heavy books on either end of the kayak to keep it from tipping over
- Use a tarp as an extra layer of protection against potential water damage
- Think about how you want your space to look before placing anything down
- Consider buying a high-quality cover that will protect against dust and dirt
- Use bungee cords to secure your kayak to a wall or railing, so it doesn’t fall over
- Tie up any loose straps on your kayak with zip ties
- Cover your kayak with a waterproof cover so rain can’t seep through
- Want to make sure there are no sharp objects near where you’re storing kayaks, as this could damage it
Consider renting out space at an indoor parking garage, like The Parking Spot near LAX airport.
Can you store a kayak on the ground? Storing kayaks on the ground
The question of storing a kayak on the ground is an often-asked one, but it’s not recommended that you do so.
Storing your kayak directly on concrete or dirt can cause deformation to the hull and expose it to moisture and debris if left there for long periods.
Why store in such conditions when we have plenty of options available to protect your kayak?
You can store your kayak in a garage, a basement or even rent out indoor kayak storage space if you’re going to be away from it for an extended period.
Is it Okay to store kayaks vertically?
How to store kayak in apartment Vertically? When storing your kayak vertically, you should always check how the manufacturer recommends handling your kayak. There are a number of options when it comes to how you store your kayak.
Some manufacturers leave it up to how you want to store a sit-on-top kayak; others may recommend keeping them on their sides, but how you store your kayak vertically can potentially affect how you launch it when you go out.
Be sure to ask how you should store your kayak before buying it.
How to store a kayak vertically? (Apartment Kayak storage made simple)
For storing kayaks vertically, you should turn it upside down and lean it against the wall with its cockpit facing out.
It is important that your kayak leans on an angle so as not to fall over when placed in this position. The stern of the kayak must touch the ground while its bow faces up towards the ceiling for safe vertical kayak storage purposes!
An alternative is to install a rack inside your garage with the same type of angle that kayaks are stored horizontally. This way, you can store multiple kayaks in one small area!
It is also important that you cover and protect your kayak when storing it in this position.
How to Store a Kayak in a Small Apartment?
Storing a kayak in a small apartment can be tricky, but it is possible with some creativity and planning. First, you should measure the space available for storing your kayak.
You’ll need to determine if the doorway or hallway is wide enough to fit your kayak and ensure you have plenty of headroom clearance.
Once you’ve determined the size and shape of your storage area, consider suspending your kayak from ceiling hooks or wall-mounted racks.
Custom-made stands allow you to store multiple boats at once without taking up much floor space.
Additionally, try adding overhead tracks that will give added support when installing roof racks or other accessories onto the boat itself.
Finally, remember always to use padding between the boat hull and any objects directly touching it, such as walls or shelving units, so that no damage occurs from rubbing against each other over time!
Can you hang a kayak by the handles?
If you want to store your kayak in a way that doesn’t take up space on the floor, then a great way is to hang it up from the ceiling.
When hanging your kayak, make sure that you do so using a pulley system. You can find these at any hardware store, and they come with detailed instructions on how to install them properly.
Another option is to mount several eye screws onto the garage walls and use a rope to secure the kayak. The rope must be long enough so that kayak can freely hang from it and not touch the ground or any sharp objects when in position!
How do you hang a kayak on the wall?
If you want to store your kayak vertically, then how do you hang it on the wall? There are many ways to hang your kayak as long as you have a sturdy structure and strong enough ropes or hooks.
The first step is finding out how heavy your kayak is and how much weight a hook or rope can hold (see safety tips below).
To determine how much weight you can safely store on a hook, attach the hook to the ceiling and place an object around 5 pounds in weight directly on the hook. If it is able to hold that weight, then it should be safe for storing a kayak in an apartment!
To hang your kayak up from its cockpit or bow, loop a rope around the cockpit rails or around the front of the kayak and tie it securely to two hooks. Remember that how you securely attach your kayak depends on how heavy it is, so make sure to look for a rope that will be able to support its weight!
You can also choose to hang your kayak from the stern if you have access.
How do you store a kayak long-term?
To store your kayak long-term, remember to always hang it upside down. Hanging by the handles: if you have a front and back handle on your garage, hanging them, both will put an unnecessary strain in all of the wrong places.
If hung improperly or at an angle that is not perpendicular (straight up), this also can cause damage as well as deformity. You can avoid this by storing your kayak vertically with only one handle facing up (or using a pulley system).
Things Not to Do When Storing Your Kayak (improper kayak storage apartment)
Storing your kayak can be frustrating. You might have a garage, but it’s probably filled with stuff, and you need to find the space for your kayak.
There are some common mistakes that people make when storing their kayaks in garages or sheds, which cause problems down the road.
We’ve put together this list of things not to do when storing your kayak so that you can avoid these mistakes and keep your kayak safe from damage as well as organized in one convenient place!
- Don’t store your kayak in the sun
- Don’t store your kayak on a surface that is slanted or uneven
- Don’t store your kayak near any combustible materials, like gas cans or paint thinner
- Make sure to use a cover when storing it outdoors (to protect from UV rays)
- Store it at least 18 inches off the ground and out of direct sunlight if possible
- Keep it away from animals that may chew on the kayak’s fabric and plastic parts
Can you store a kayak in a storage unit?
Most people are surprised how much one storage unit can fit! If you have a lot of things that need to be stored, then renting a storage unit can help you build space in your home for the things you love.
When storing your kayak in an outdoor storage unit, make sure to store it on its side where possible (can still keep vertical).
It’s also important that you store it in a cool and dry place out of direct sunlight. Make sure to follow all of the instructions on how to safely store your kayak from manufactures!
Keep in mind that storage units are not climate controlled, so if there is any moisture or direct light, then you run the risk of damaging your kayak.
Recommended Kayaks Storage Units:
10 Best storage unit for kayak (Storing kayak in storage unit)
If you don’t have enough space to store your kayak, it’s hard to get out on the water as much as you’d like. You might even be tempted to buy another one! The best apartment kayak storage units for providing plenty of room at an affordable price!
We can help you find the perfect solution for storing kayak in apartment or other large equipment without taking up too much of your precious floor space.
Check below the top picks of kayak storage units and how they look like:
- ►SIMPLICITY - Simple and easy way to store your kayak up off...
- ►VERSATILE - Can be used indoors or outdoors, will hold up to...
- ►EASY TO USE - Quick-release buckles as well for easy loading...
- ►STRONG - The RAD Sportz Kayak Strap has a 55lb capacity,...
- TRIPLE STACK WALL STORAGE: An organization solution to garage...
- FOR KAYAKS, BOARDS & MORE: Use the wall rack system to store...
- HEAVY DUTY 150LB CAPACITY: Built tough to withstand 150lbs of...
- DURABLE RUST-PROOF STEEL: A 3-tier space-saving garage wall rack...
- 6-Boat Rack--This kayak storage rack is made of durable corrosion...
- Store All Types of kayaks--This canoe rack with a scale is WIDTH...
- Movable Kayak Rack--This kayak holder has 4 lockable wheels to be...
- Kayak Garage Storage--The unit uncluttered the storage area...
- 【Durable Construction & Impressive Weight Capacity】: Kayak...
- 【Protective Sleeves】: The outdoor kayak storage rack features...
- 【Convenient and Portable】: Our kayak racks outdoor is...
- 【Adjustable Width】: We understand that kayaks come in...
- 【 ! Must-read information ! 】: ① Please be sure to look for...
- 【Premium Material】: Extra large storage duffle bag is made of...
- 【Foldable luggage bag】: The portable storage luggage bag can...
- 【Sturdy and Large Capacity】: The heavy-duty giant storage...
- VERSATILE KAYAK STORAGE HOOKS: Made of powder coated steel....
- ANTI SLIP & ANTI SCRATCH EVA FORM: Our paddleboard rack is...
- DURABLE MATERIALS: Made of high-quality tubular steel, these...
- FULL SCREWS AND ANCHORS INCLUDED: The given screws are right in...
- OUTDOOR STORAGE: All-weather wall-mounted rack holds up to 4...
- ADJUSTABLE LEVELS: 45 mounting points allow you to position each...
- ULTRA STRONG METAL: Heavy-duty aluminum and steel holds up to 100...
- LOCKING ANCHOR POINTS: Built-in metal loops on each storage level...
- ►PADDED HOOKS - Hooks are designed with a foam padding to...
- ►HEAVY DUTY - 100 lb weight capacity, more than enough for even...
- ►ROBUST ENGINEERING - Allows you to store heavy kayaksyear...
- ►EXTRA DURABLE - The RAD Sportz Kayak Wall Hangers are made of...
- FOAM PADDING PROTECTION: Our kayak storage with nylon covered...
- BUILT TO LAST: The heavy duty steel hook with powder coating is...
- SECURE STRAP: Our paddleboard racks' support straps are designed...
- VERSATILE APPLICATIONS: Our kayak wall mount can be hung both...
- PERFECT STORAGE FOR LARGE ITEMS: This kayak Wall mount rack for...
- VARIOUS FUNCTIONS: Extra large kayak utility hangers great for...
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: This heavy duty large arm storage hook is...
- SIZE & CAPACITY: The size of our large garage storage hooks is...
Kayak storage rack ideas: kayak racks for storage unit (kayak storage ideas)
1. Install a kayak storage apartment rack that is the same height as your ceiling
2. Store your kayaks on their side to save space
3. Hang up a hammock in the garage for easy access to your paddles
4. Build shelves from wood and place them on top of each other to store more than one kayak at once
5. Use hooks or racks instead of hangers so you can hang multiple kayaks from one hook or rack
6. Buy an inflatable dock if you have enough room outdoor storage, which will double as extra seating when not in use
How to store your kayak in apartment? The process of storing a kayak is easier than you might think. In our post, we helped clear up the confusion with step-by-step instructions on how to store a kayak in an apartment and offered some helpful tips about what you can do if your apartment doesn’t have enough space for storage.
We hope that this blog post has been informative and will help make it possible to enjoy your new kayak longer than just one season!
Frequently Asked Questions about Storing Kayak in Apartment (FAQ)
You might also like: