I didn’t think I had time for fishing before I fished, said Bob Mortimer. The 61-year-old comedian is referring to the fact that once you try fishing, it reels you in (pun intended), and you then have to make time for it.
He is absolutely true because there’s something magical about fishing, the peace, and calm coupled with the thrill of catching the fish is a perfect way to escape the real world for a bit.
However, going fishing with the wrong type of ultralight fishing rod is just like going to a gunfight with a knife.
So, to help you find the best ultralight fishing rods for maximum fun and catch count, we have put together this guide.
We will discuss what this kind of rod is, how is it different from the regular one, and at the end, we will suggest the best ultra light spinning rod so you don’t have to waste any time in experimentation. That being said, let’s get started:
If you are in A hurry! check below Our Favorite Picks For 2021
What is an ultralight fishing rod?
This kind of fishing rod is just what it sounds like. It is very lighter than the regular one, which makes the handling pretty easy.
However, the fishing rod itself is not the only thing that’s lightweight, the whole ultra-light fishing combo including the spinning reel, line, and lures are also very light in weight.
The length of the rod is also shorter than the ones used for offshore fishing or surf fishing. This means it’s more suitable for casting in smaller water bodies. The small size of the ultralight fishing rod can provide you with more precision.
You might consider these best ultralight rods available on Amazon:
- stik elite spinning rod
- ugly stik elite spinning rod
- reel seats for fishing rod
What are the main differences between ultralight spinning rods and regular fishing rods?
There are several differences between both the regular and ultralight fishing rods, but we will try to outline the most common ones below for easy understanding:
- Level of Precision: Small size of the fishing rod allows you to land your hook exactly at the spot you want to. Longer rods make it difficult to cast with accuracy due to more distance between your hands and the end of the line.
- Level of Fun: The best ultralight fishing rod available in the market. not only have a lighter weight but also great sensitivity. This means you will be able to detect bites quickly and because of the small size of the rod, reeling in the fish will be a lot more fun as you will have to put in more power and do more pulling than a regular rod.
- Fish Attraction: Fish are more attracted to smaller lures because they seem more realistic. And the fact that ultralight fishing rods allow you to use smaller lures helps you attract more of them.
- Body of Water: You can use the ultralight fishing rods to catch the fish in smaller water bodies such as ponds, and rivers, etc. However, for saltwater fishing like in the ocean, a regular rod will be much more suitable.
- Mobility: Although there are regular fishing rods that can break up in several sections and get inside a carrying case, the weight will still be heavier. Ultralight spinning rods have the word ‘light’ in their names so you can imagine how feathery they would be as compared to regular rods. You can pack them in your backpack and go fishing while on your way to trekking or hiking.
Why professional Anglers Use Ultralight Rods?
There are many reasons why many pros use the best light fast action spinning rod for fishing and some of the main ones are:
- Catch Smaller Fish: One of the best parts of using the ultralight spinning rods is that it is more sensitive than its regular counterpart. This means that you can feel even the lightest bites allowing you to detect and catch smaller fish, which might be difficult with regular rods, and take fast action. Pro anglers use ultralight rods mainly for this purpose.
- Comfortable on the Hand: The lightweight of the rod puts less load on your hands. This means unless you are catching a very big fish, you will feel much less strain on your hands and wrists when reeling in a fish. Professional anglers often use ultralight rods whenever possible to keep their hands and wrists in minimal pressure and strain.
- Portability: Using a lightweight and smaller size fishing rod allows professionals to pack light and keep a smaller case with them allowing them to quickly switch their places from one fishing spot to another in lakes or rivers.
What is the best ultralight fishing rods on the market?
There are several brands out there claiming to sell the best ultralight spinning rods but both you and I know that it’s hardly the case; not everyone can be the Apple of fishing rods!
However, there are some brands selling the best ultralight fishing rod guaranteed to give you maximum value for your money.
We have discussed those brands and their key products in this guide so you will be able to get a bang for your buck without trying hard.
Let’s have a look at all of them below.
Top 5 Best ultra-light fishing rod recommended
1. OKUMA Celilo Ultralight Graphite Trout fishing Rod
If you want something that’s built to last but has a very lightweight and small size then OKUMA Celilo Trout fishing rod is going to be your best fishing pal for a long time.
We have made it our ‘Best Overall Pick’ because the versatility of this rod makes it highly useful for both beginners and seasoned anglers.
- Made from high-quality Graphite, Stainless Steel and Aluminum
- Best for both indoor and outdoor fishing
- Fore and rear grips are made of soft cork
- Very affordable price
- cork handle
2. KastKing Perigee II Rod (Best Premium Pick)
Looking for something that has a premium build quality and excellent handling?
Well, we have one name for you; KastKing Perigee II. Although all of the KastKing products are always well-received by anglers, the Perigee II with thousands of positive reviews on Amazon takes the crown.
Let’s see some of its key features:
- Built with Toray 24-ton carbon matrix
- Ultralight with 2 piece design
- Premium Fuji O-Ring guides
- ultralight rod
- Eva foam grips and graphite-based strong reel seats
3. PLUSINNO Ultralight Winter Ice Fishing Rod
If you need something sensitive and strong at the same time, check out the best light fast action spinning rod by PLUSINNO.
The durability and excellent performance of the rod make it perfect for both newbies and serious ice anglers. Let’s check some of the features below:
- Ultra-light fishing combo includes a lightweight spinning reel
- Anti-wound guide reduces wire winding
- Easy to assemble and disassemble reel seat
- stainless steel guides
- cork handle
- ultralight rod
- Ergonomically designed handles with Eva and Cork combo
- fast action spinning rod
4. TEMPO Carbon fiber Casting and Ultralight Fishing Rod
The rod that features robust construction and weighs way less than a regular fishing pole, the TEMPO carbon fiber casting ultralight fishing rod is perfect for anyone looking for great casting precision, excellent strength, and outstanding sensitivity. Let’s see some of its main features:
- Made with 30-ton high modulus Graphite
- Stainless steel guides with frames to avoiding line sticking
- High strength graphite reel seat with EVA handle
- 90-day trial and 3-year warranty
5. St. Croix 2-Piece Graphite Ultra light Spinning Rod
Need something simple and practical? Well then go for the 2-piece Graphite rod by ST. Croix.
It is one of the best ultralight spinning rods out there and even though a bit on the costly side, it does the job well, which is to fill your bucket with fish. Let’s have a peek at some of its main features:
- Designed for seasoned anglers who can tell the good stuff from meager one
- Made with high quality/Mid modulus, high strain graphite fiber
- Stainless steel ring and frame
- 5-year warranty
- cork handle
- ultralight rod
What is the best ultra light spinning rod for trout on the market?
If you’re on the hunt for trout specifically, we have something for you.
Made with a combination of graphite, glass fiber, carbon fiber, and stainless steel, the rod stays intact even when reeling in some of the most stubborn fish.
It has very lightweight and is made with non-slip EVA handles that are very comfortable and deliver an excellent fishing experience.
The rod comes equipped with stainless steel guide rings that provide smooth casting and reeling experience without trapping the line in the process.
Lastly, it has very lightweight thanks to graphite structure but is powerful enough to easily catch trout and other similar species with ease.
How to clean and maintain your fishing rod?
Cleaning the fishing rod is something that every level of angler needs to do periodically. You don’t want those fish-catching tools to collect dust and rust over time and eventually break into two when a tough piscine is not willing to come out of the water.
So to ensure you have a smooth fishing experience and your trusty rod stays with you for a long time, you need to follow a fishing rod cleaning routine regularly. Watch this video to find out how to clean the fishing rod in the best way.
Ultralight fishing rods offer a lot of fun and greater thrill of even catching the small species as it’s more sensitive so you feel even the slightest vibrations and tensions that would go unnoticed with larger rods.
We have already suggested the best ultra light fishing rod choices above and now it’s up to you to go through them, check out their specs and people’s reviews and get the one you find the most suitable for your needs.
You might consider other fishing rods available on Amazon:
- ugly stik elite spinning rod
- reel seats for fishing
- okuma celilo graphite
- ultralight gear for fishing
- spinning rod aluminum oxide guides
- g loomis spinning rods