Finding the best fishing rod is not as challenging as it might seem to someone just dipping their toes into fishing.
However, there are many variables that you have to consider or else you might not get the right fishing rod and reel.
It’s not like that you will not catch fish with the wrong type of fishing pole; it’s just that the ideal one will make things ten times easier.
So to make sure you get tight lines every time you go angling, having the right rod and reel is a must.
Luckily, with this guide’s help, you will not just be wetting a line but rather, filling your bucket with trout, salmons, catfish and many more species.
This guide will talk about getting the best Angling poles, power rods, and spinning rod and reel combo without breaking the bank.
We will also suggest the best fly rod brands so you don’t have to comb through the internet and waste time and money in experiments. So if you are ready to take all of this knowledge in, then let’s dive right in:
So if you are in Hurry: check Comparison below:
Which Fishing Rod Should I Buy?
Before we even begin talking about other important things related to fishing poles, you first need to know the rod’s key features and what factors to consider in the great fishing pole.
So that being said, let’s have look at five of them:
Also known as the fishing rod’s backbone, it describes how much time it takes a rod to bend. Ratings are given to the power of rods ranging from heavy to medium and light etc.
Power helps you determine the maximum strength of line and line weight you can use. Heavy power rod means heavy lines can be used.
There is no sense when it comes to power ratings. The type of water determines the power of the rod and reel you need.
The thick and heavy cover will need a powerful rod to get the fish out while open water requires a light power rod as you will have to use light, hard to see lines to catch the fish.
There are various sizes fishing poles come in varying from 4-10ft in length.
The size is measured from the tip to butt of the rod and when you are picking one, consider the following things:
- Get a longer rod from 7-10ft if you are going for smaller fish.
- Get a shorter rod, from 5-7ft if you are going for heavier/bigger fish.
- If you have a smaller storage space, get the one that can be broken down or is telescopic.
The action is basically the rod’s power, but instead of covering the whole road, it only indicates the power of the rod’s tip; typically the 1/3rd part.
The action is rated fast, medium or slow. Rods with fast action will bend closer to their tips, while slow action will bend closer to the butt/handle.
The slower the action, the more fight you will have to put, especially when dealing with bigger species. So those who want to enjoy the thrill of fishing can opt for lighter action.
Recommended fast action fishing rods:
Typically, you will find the rods to be made either from fiberglass, or graphite or a combination of both.
Graphite-made rods are stiffer and lighter but they break easily. However, their lighter weight and brittle feel also make them sensitive to bite-detection.
Fiberglass rods are heavier and are virtually unbreakable, which offers greater flexibility. However, if you want the best trout rod and reel with balanced qualities of both materials, go for the combination of graphite and fiberglass.
Last but not least, the handle is an important aspect to consider when you are wetting the line. Some are made of cork, some from foam and some from the combination of both.
Anglers have different preferences regarding materials and it comes down to the level of comfort and fishing style. However, if you easily get sweaty and fear that the rod can slip from your hands then go for foam handle.
There are also handles with different grips such as split or pistol, allowing you to cast precisely, so consider trying them for shorter distances.
How do you choose a rod and reel combo?
Since seasoned fishermen make these combinations, you can trust their judgment if you are unsure where to start.
And as you learn the ropes of fishing, you can start customizing things according to your levels of comfort.
Fishing rods and reels combos typically vary from small-medium sizes, as well as the type of species you are going after. Small ones like Trout can be caught using a 6ft rod and 2000 reel.
For medium-sized species like Walleye, 7ft rod and 4000 reel would suffice. And bigger ones like Catfish need 8ft rod and 8000 reel.
That being said, there are still some things you can look for in the spinning reel and rod combo to ensure you get something that’s easier for you to handle.
- Type of Sport: You need to decide the type of fishing you will mostly be doing. Different fishing poles combos are designed to complement different types of fishing styles like baitcasting, ice fishing, or fly fishing. Decide which type of fishing style suits you best and get the one matching it.
- Your Level: If you are an absolute beginner, and want to jump into the action as quickly as possible, only then go for the spinning rod combo. An advanced user can shop his/her rods and reels independently.
- Budget: spinning rod and reel combo costs are typically pocket-friendly; however, they aren’t super cheap. You can start with some of the budget-friendly options we have suggested in this guide below and when you get the hang of it, you can shop your own reels and rods and potentially save some more greenbacks.
Where to buy fishing rods?
One of the best places to buy the great fishing rods and reels is without a doubt, Amazon.
It has a wide variety, suiting the needs of every fisherman. From just rods to reel/rod combos to the best fishing poles, you can find everything in one place with just a few clicks.
Plus, the main benefit of getting these rods from Amazon is that you can read their specs, and reviews left by people who have purchased them. This will make it easier for you to decide if it’s for you or not.
We have already done the spadework for you by listing the best fishing pole brands, as well as, their combos for different water types and fishing styles below.
Just go through these lists, check out the products you find interesting, read their detailed specs and customer reviews, and get the one you find the most interesting.
- 🎣 Warm Prompt: Fishing rod + reel (No Lures & Line) include...
- 🎣 Perfect elasticity, high density Carbon fiber mixed with...
- 🎣 Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seat is anti-seawater corrosion;...
- 🎣 Instant anti-reverse; Power drive gears equipped for high...
- FULL KIT: 1 Fishing Rod + 1 Fishing Reel + 1 Fishing Bag Case +...
- TELESCOPIC FISHING ROD:The telescopic fishing rod is high density...
- ALUMINUM REEL:Instant anti-reverse; Right/Left inter-changeable...
- Super Power Braided Fishing Line is durable, fishing lures and...
- 【Amazing Quality Graphite Blank】: All CR7B 1-piece rods are...
- 【Ergonomic Design】: Fuji reel seat and premium grade cork and...
- 【Smooth Power】: Stainless steel guides with SiC inserts makes...
- 【Never Worry about Customer Service】: What you can get from...
- 【Best Value Fishing Kit】- It's an all-in-one fishing rod with...
- 【SENSITIVE & STRONG】PLUSINNO fishing rod blanks. All Elite...
- 【Super Smooth Power】Stainless steel guides with Ceramic...
- 【DOUBLE LOCKING REEL SEAT】 - Sturdy plastic reel seat with...
- Premium quality SCII carbon.
- Hard aluminum-oxide guides with black frames.
- Sea Guide XDPS reel seat with eco-friendly sandblasted hoods on...
- Sea Guide ECS or TCS reel seat with eco-friendly sandblasted hood...
How to set up a fishing rod and reel for beginners?
The process of setting up a fishing pole is pretty simple, even if you are just starting out. There’s a very useful video that you should definitely watch to learn everything from start to finish.
You will know how to put together your new fishing pole in just a few minutes, including how to tie the fishing line to the hook and even add weight. Here’ the link to the video.
Top 10 of the best fishing rods 2020
Best beginner fishing rod: PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
Need something to quickly get your feet wet? (Pun intended). Well then try out the carbon fiber based spinning rod combo by PLUSINNO. Some key features are:
- Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass for sensitivity and durability
- Comfortable EVA foam handle grips
- The anti-seawater corrosion reel seat
- Anti-reverse power drive gears
Best fishing pole for saltwater: Sougayilang Fishing Rod and reel Combos
If you need the best fishing poles to catch fish in the ocean or the saltwater bodies, then the Sougayilang spinning reel and reel combo is perfect.
- Complete kit with bag, lures, fishing line and more
- Fiberglass and carbon fiber mixed
- Corrosion-resistant gears with 5:5:1 ratio.
- Eva foam handle and reel knob for comfort
- 1 year worry-free service
Best fly rod for streamer fishing: Wild Water Complete Fly Rod and Reel Combo
Want to start with the fly fishing technique to catch some salmon, grayling or trout? And you don’t know which fly rod you should pick? Well then this complete fishing kit by Wild Water is your go-to product:
- Made in the U.S
- Spool and base made of die cast aluminum
- Matte-black finish with laser etched logo
- Quick-release spool and one-way clutch bearing
- The backing line and leader are already installed
Top fishing rods for river fishing: Magreel Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel Combo Set
Need something to easily catch the clever fish of the river? Well then why not try this telescopic fishing rods and reels combo? Since you will have a smaller boat in the river, its telescopic design will aid in easy storage as well.
- Carbon Fiber frame
- Corrosion-resistant stainless steel reel seat hood
- Eva based ergonomic handle
- Complete kit with rod, reel, line, lure and more
Best fishing rod for casting distance: Goture Travel Fishing Rods
Want something that can get big enough for long-distance casting rod and then small enough to be stored in a case the size of a quiver? Meet Goture Fishing rod:
- Its carbon matrix design gives it balanced sensitivity, power and strength
- Reel seat is made of ABS and the grips are Eva foam
- Has 7+1 guides with corrosion resistance
- One year warranty
Best fishing rod for salmon and steelhead: OKUMA Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rods
If you want to cast a very long distance and catch some trout or salmons then check out the 10ft long OKUMA graphite-based spinning rod and reel:
- Aluminum oxide based guide inserts
- Reel seats come with stainless steel hood
- Fore and rear grips made of cork
- Based on two sections
Best fishing rod for sharks: Fiblink Bent Butt Fishing Offshore Trolling Rod
Want to play in the big leagues and catch those sharp-tooth predators? Well then you need something very powerful with a strong grip. Say hello to Fiblink Fishing Rod.
- It’s bent butt with non-slip grip offer a strong hold
- Made of solid e-glass graphite
- Unique roller design guides instead of the looped ones
- Comes with 1-year warranty
Best fishing rod for tuna: PENN Spinfisher VI Spinning Reel and Fishing Rod Combo
Planning on eating some homemade tuna sandwiches? Well then grab this spinning reel and rod combo and bring those tunas home. Some key features are:
- IPX5 level water resistance
- CNC Gear tech
- Cork based handles
Best fishing rod for bass fishing: Sougayilang Fishing Rod Reel Combos
Everyone wants to catch some freshwater largemouth bass but very know that you need a special kind of spinning rod for this. This Sougayilang spinning rod Combo is specially made to catch bass.
- Reel comes with a brake system
- 8:1:1 gear ratio can help with large fish
- 12+1 ball bearings with corrosion resistance
- Based on 6 pieces, which allow easy storage especially for backpacking
Best rod for trout fishing: Sougayilang Crappie Spinning Fishing Rod
The best trout rod fishing pole. mainly because of its graphite composition that alerts the fishermen as soon as a fish bites. Let’s see some more features:
- Cork-based handle for good grip
- Stainless steel guides
- ABS based reel seat that is easy to use and install
- 2 pieces allow easy storage and need minimal line alignment
What is the best cheap fishing rod?
Everyone looking to get value for their money will try to find the cheapest spinning rod that offers the best value. However, trying to get a bang for the buck on the cheapest fishing pole cost doesn’t always go in one’s favor, especially if you are a beginner.
Someone who doesn’t know much about the rods, poles or rod/reel combos may get the lowest quality for the lower prices and after trying hard to catch fish with a stick disguised as a ‘fishing rod’ they may kiss goodbye to this hobby.
However, you can get the best cheap fishing rod if you listen to someone who knows a great deal about them, someone like us who know enough to write this detailed guide just on fishing rods.
We have already suggested some of the best fly rod brands above with great prices. Make sure to check them out and get the one that fits your budget.
Are expensive fishing rods worth it?
Yes, if you know what you are getting, they are worth every penny! Expensive rods cost more because they are made with materials like graphite that are more sensitive. The sensitive a rod is, the better it is in detecting when a fish bites the bait.
This means the more chances you have of catching the fish quickly.
However, as mentioned in the start, you should be able to know what you are getting. There are differences between a $100 and $300 rod but whether you need those extra benefits or not, that’s another story.
For this, we suggest that you rely on someone who knows what they are doing to suggest you the best fishing pole that offers a bang for your buck. This is the reason we have suggested 10 different types of rods above so you can find your better match and get value for money.
Fishing Pole vs. Classic Fishing Rod Comparison:
If you’re wondering why some say pole while most use the word rod even when they are the same thing then it’s because they are not.
The main difference between both is that pole is made of natural materials like reed, wood, bamboo, or cane. These are the oldest fishing tool, maybe even dating back to the 900bc.
However, they are pretty basic in function and have no features that the modern fishing rods boast. Freshwater poles and saltwater poles are the most common types of fishing poles.
If we talk about the fishing rods, you will find them much more advanced in their make and features. They are made using various materials including fiberglass and graphite.
These rods have various bells and whistles including guides, and eyes to help anglers become better at fishing and catch with convenience.
Well, we will side with spinning rod mainly because they are modern, easy to find, and have several features that will make your life easier when catching fish.
Plus, since you are a beginner, practicing with something that boasts guides and eyes to help with aiming will help you learn faster.
Best Fly rod for fly fishing resources:
- shakespeare ugly stik
- ugly stik gx2 fly fishing rod
- abu garcia fly rod
- ugly stik elite spinning rod
- cork handle fishing rod
Commonly Asked Questions about fishing poles (FAQ):
The area of fishing is a whole sea of knowledge and when starting out, you need to know about a lot more things besides spinning rods. We have already made several guides on other important subjects including how to tie different fishing knots and catch different fish (add link to the guide I wrote on this), and how to buy the best kayak for fishing (add a link to the guide on this). The gist is, if you just take a side 20-30 minutes going through our guides, you’ll be ready to go out there and fill your bucket like a pro.
Most popular fishing rods & Fly rod for fly fishing resources:
- shakespeare ugly stik
- ugly stik gx2 fly fishing rod
- abu garcia fly rod
- ugly stik elite spinning rod
- cork handle fishing rod