Finding the best fishing rod is not as challenging as it might seem to someone just dipping their toes into fishing.
However, there are many variables that you have to consider, or else you might not get the right fishing rod and reel.
It’s not like you will not catch fish with the wrong type of fishing pole; it’s just that the ideal one will make things ten times easier. So to make sure you get tight lines every time you go angling, having the right rod and reel is a must.
Luckily, with this guide’s help, you will not just be wetting a line but rather, filling your bucket with trout, salmons, catfish, and many more species.
This guide will talk about getting the best Angling poles, power rods, and spinning rod and reel combo without breaking the bank.
We will also suggest the best fly rod brands so you don’t have to comb through the internet and waste time and money in experiments. So if you are ready to take all of this knowledge in, then let’s dive right in:
So if you are in a Hurry: check the Comparison below:
Which Fishing Rod Should I Buy?
Before we even begin talking about other important things related to fishing poles, you first need to know the rod’s key features and what factors to consider in the great fishing pole.
So that being said, let’s have look at five of them:
Also known as the fishing rod’s backbone, it describes how much time it takes a rod to bend. Ratings are given to the power of rods ranging from heavy to medium and light etc.
Power helps you determine the maximum strength of line and line weight you can use. Heavy power rod means heavy lines can be used.
There is no sense when it comes to power ratings. The type of water determines the power of the rod and reel you need.
The thick and heavy cover will need a powerful rod to get the fish out while open water requires a light power rod as you will have to use light, hard-to-see lines to catch the fish.
There are various sizes of fishing poles that come in varying from 4-10ft in length.
The size is measured from the tip to butt of the rod and when you are picking one, consider the following things:
- Get a longer rod from 7-10ft if you are going for smaller fish.
- Get a shorter rod, from 5-7ft if you are going for heavier/bigger fish.
- If you have a smaller storage space, get the one that can be broken down or is telescopic.
The action is basically the rod’s power, but instead of covering the whole road, it only indicates the power of the rod’s tip; typically the 1/3rd part.
The action is rated fast, medium, or slow. Rods with fast action will bend closer to their tips, while slow action will bend closer to the butt/handle.
The slower the action, the more fight you will have to put, especially when dealing with bigger species. So those who want to enjoy the thrill of fishing can opt for lighter action.
Recommended fast action fishing rods:
Typically, you will find the rods to be made either from fiberglass, or graphite, or a combination of both.
Graphite-made rods are stiffer and lighter but they break easily. However, their lighter weight and brittle feel also make them sensitive to bite detection.
Fiberglass rods are heavier and are virtually unbreakable, which offers greater flexibility. However, if you want the best trout rod and reel with balanced qualities of both materials, go for the combination of graphite and fiberglass.
Last but not least, the handle is an important aspect to consider when you are wetting the line. Some are made of cork, some from foam, and some from the combination of both.
Anglers have different preferences regarding materials and it comes down to the level of comfort and fishing style. However, if you easily get sweaty and fear that the rod can slip from your hands then go for foam handle.
There are also handles with different grips such as split or pistol, allowing you to cast precisely, so consider trying them for shorter distances.
How do you choose a rod and reel combo?
Since seasoned fishermen make these combinations, you can trust their judgment if you are unsure where to start.
And as you learn the ropes of fishing, you can start customizing things according to your levels of comfort.
Fishing rods and reels combos typically vary from small-medium sizes, as well as the type of species you are going after. Small ones like Trout can be caught using a 6ft rod and 2000 reel.
For medium-sized species like Walleye, a 7ft rod and 4000 reels would suffice. And bigger ones like Catfish need 8ft rod and 8000 reels.
That being said, there are still some things you can look for in the spinning reel and rod combo to ensure you get something that’s easier for you to handle.
- Type of Sport: You need to decide the type of fishing you will mostly be doing. Different fishing poles combos are designed to complement different types of fishing styles like baitcasting, ice fishing, or fly fishing. Decide which type of fishing style suits you best and get the one matching it.
- Your Level: If you are an absolute beginner, and want to jump into the action as quickly as possible, only then go for the spinning rod combo. An advanced user can shop his/her rods and reels independently.
- Budget: spinning rod and reel combo costs are typically pocket-friendly; however, they aren’t super cheap. You can start with some of the budget-friendly options we have suggested in this guide below and when you get the hang of it, you can shop your own reels and rods and potentially save some more greenbacks.
Where to buy fishing rods?
One of the best places to buy great fishing rods and reels is without a doubt, Amazon.
It has a wide variety, suiting the needs of every fisherman. From just rods to reel/rod combos to the best fishing poles, you can find everything in one place with just a few clicks.
Plus, the main benefit of getting these rods from Amazon is that you can read their specs, and reviews left by people who have purchased them. This will make it easier for you to decide if it’s for you or not.
We have already done the spadework for you by listing the best fishing pole brands, as well as, their combos for different water types and fishing styles below.
Just go through these lists, check out the products you find interesting, read their detailed specs and customer reviews, and get the one you find the most interesting.
How to set up a fishing rod and reel for beginners?
The process of setting up a fishing pole is pretty simple, even if you are just starting out. There’s a very useful video that you should definitely watch to learn everything from start to finish.
You will know how to put together your new fishing pole in just a few minutes, including how to tie the fishing line to the hook and even add weight. Here’ the link to the video.
Top 10 of the best fishing rods 2020
- EASY-TO-USE: The Zebco 404 spincast reel and rod combo has been a...
- 28-PIECE TACKLE KIT: The tackle kit comes as a complete set...
- BUILT-IN BITE ALERT: You will be amazed by the built-in bite...
- TOUGH YET SLEEK: Utilize the convenient dial-adjustable drag and...
- 30 Wide 2 Speed Blue Marlin Tournament Edition reels and 2 Blue...
- 5'5" carbon composite blank with span wrap construction, wide...
- 2 speed gear ratio 3.6 : 1 and 1.6 : 1, stainless steel gears,...
- Line capacity 950 yards of 30 lb. mono, oversize big game handles
- Strong, yet balanced graphite and fiberglass construction
- Durable ugly tuff one piece stainless steel guides
- Pre-spooled with 6 pound line
- Durable and lightweight EVA grips
- EASY-TO-USE: Zebco Slingshot spincast reel and fishing rod combo...
- ALL-DAY COMFORT: This hard-working fishing rod and reel combo...
- SMOOTH PERFORMANCE: This size 30 spincast reel is constructed...
- EXPERTLY DESIGNED: dependable and designed to last, the Slingshot...
- Elite Carbon Blanks & Nano Resin Technology - Speed Demon Pro...
- Fuji Guides/Reel Seats & WINN Grips - Only the finest Fuji guides...
- 15 Technique Specific Actions & Lengths - We've design each...
- Lightweight Composite S-Glass Crankbait Rods - The Speed Demon...
- Powerlux delivers a 15% stronger* and 5% lighter** rod, while...
- ROCS (Robotically Optimized Casting System) Guide train for...
- Titanium alloy guides with ultra light Zirconium inserts allow...
- Closed Cell EVA grips gives greater weather and wear resistance
- 🎁【The best gift for Weekend Hiking Time ! 】If your famlily...
- 🎣【Just Bring ONE Bag】AlwaysGO Fishing Rod Reel Combos with...
- 🌴【Light Weight and Portable】 AlwaysGO Fishing Rod Reel...
- 🐠【Ergonomic Handle】After Redesigning, We Got a...
- 【2PCS Fishing Pole Full Kit】included：2PCS Carbon Fiber...
- 【2 x Carbon Fiber Fishing Rods】 High density carbon fiber...
- 【2 x Powerful FF4000 Spinning Reels】The spinning fishing...
- 【1 xLures and Bait】We packed every tackle box for your...
- MODERATE ACTION: 30-inch 1-piece fishing rod combo provides...
- EXPERTLY CRAFTED MATERIALS: Durable fiberglass rod blank...
- EFFORTLESS FISHING: Zebco's QuickSet anti-reverse reel stops your...
- SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION: Premium all-metal gears, a 2.6:1 gear...
- HT-100 drag washers provide smooth drag under heavy loads
- 4 sealed stainless steel ball bearings
- PENN Dura-Guides
- Graphite Composite Blank
What is the best cheap fishing rod?
Everyone looking to get value for their money will try to find the cheapest spinning rod that offers the best value. However, trying to get a bang for the buck on the cheapest fishing pole cost doesn’t always go in one’s favor, especially if you are a beginner.
Someone who doesn’t know much about the rods, poles or rod/reel combos may get the lowest quality for the lower prices and after trying hard to catch fish with a stick disguised as a ‘fishing rod’ they may kiss goodbye to this hobby.
However, you can get the best cheap fishing rod if you listen to someone who knows a great deal about them, someone like us who knows enough to write this detailed guide just on fishing rods.
We have already suggested some of the best fly rod brands above with great prices. Make sure to check them out and get the one that fits your budget.
Are expensive fishing rods worth it?
Yes, if you know what you are getting, they are worth every penny! Expensive rods cost more because they are made with materials like graphite that are more sensitive. The sensitive a rod is, the better it is in detecting when a fish bites the bait.
This means the more chances you have of catching the fish quickly.
However, as mentioned at the start, you should be able to know what you are getting. There are differences between a $100 and $300 rod but whether you need those extra benefits or not, that’s another story.
For this, we suggest that you rely on someone who knows what they are doing to suggest you the best fishing pole that offers a bang for your buck. This is the reason we have suggested 10 different types of rods above so you can find your better match and get value for money.
Fishing Pole vs. Classic Fishing Rod Comparison:
If you’re wondering why some say pole while most use the word rod even when they are the same thing then it’s because they are not.
The main difference between both is that pole is made of natural materials like reed, wood, bamboo, or cane. These are the oldest fishing tool, maybe even dating back to the 900bc.
However, they are pretty basic in function and have no features that the modern fishing rods boast. Freshwater poles and saltwater poles are the most common types of fishing poles.
If we talk about the fishing rods, you will find them much more advanced in their make and features. They are made using various materials including fiberglass and graphite.
These rods have various bells and whistles including guides, and eyes to help anglers become better at fishing and catch with convenience.
Well, we will side with spinning rods mainly because they are modern, easy to find, and have several features that will make your life easier when catching fish.
Plus, since you are a beginner, practicing with something that boasts guides and eyes to help with aiming will help you learn faster.
Best Fly rod for fly fishing resources:
- shakespeare ugly stik
- ugly stik gx2 fly fishing rod
- abu garcia fly rod
- ugly stik elite spinning rod
- cork handle fishing rod
Commonly Asked Questions about fishing poles (FAQ):
The area of fishing is a whole sea of knowledge and when starting out, you need to know about a lot more things besides spinning rods. We have already made several guides on other important subjects including how to tie different fishing knots and catch different fish (add a link to the guide I wrote on this), and how to buy the best kayak for fishing (add a link to the guide on this). The gist is, if you just take a side 20-30 minutes going through our guides, you’ll be ready to go out there and fill your bucket like a pro.
Most popular fishing rods & Fly rod for fly fishing resources:
- shakespeare ugly stik
- ugly stik gx2 fly fishing rod
- abu garcia fly rod
- ugly stik elite spinning rod
- cork handle fishing rod
You might also Like: