Getting the best surf fishing rods can be a bit challenging if you don’t know where to start. However, this guide is created just to help you find the perfect one for you.
We will discuss the characteristics of the best surf rod for long casting distance and provide product suggestions regarding the best surf casting rods and reel combo.
So be sure to stay with this good surf fishing rods guide till the end.
If you are in A hurry! check the below Quick comparison of Our Favorite Picks OF best surf rods for the money
Rod and reel combo for surf fishing review: (Surf Fishing Combos)
Do Longer Beach Fishing Rods Cast Further?
Yes, it does mean a longer cast. A 7 ft surf rod will cast further than a 6 feet long handled rod. Even if you keep the power and the action rod of both 6 feet long and 7 ft. This best surf fishing rods the same, then still, The longer surf rod will cast faster and further than the shorter one.
Remember: the size and length of the surf fishing rod will affect your success in angling so the best surf fishing rod and reel combo for you will be the ones you find easier to use and manage.
What Rod Is Best for Shore Fishing?
The best shore fishing rod depends on the type of shore fishing you are doing. A light spinning or conventional rod is ideal for light to medium tackle and can be used for catching various species.
A heavier action rod with appropriate line weight will be necessary if you’re targeting larger fish. When choosing the length and material of your rod, there are a few options.
For general shore fishing, medium to long rods made of graphite are preferred as they are lightweight and offer excellent sensitivity when feeling for bites.
For surf fishing, longer rods with heavier line weight will be needed to cast farther out into the water where bigger fish may live. Surf rods are often made from fiberglass or graphite and come in various lengths, from 8 to 12 feet.
Finally, specialty rods target specific species, such as crabbing, jigging, bottom fishing, trolling, and more. These come in all shapes and sizes to match the type of fishing you plan on doing and can be tailored to your specific needs.
No matter what kind of shore fishing you are doing, choosing a rod that fits comfortably in your hands is the most important thing.
What Is the Best Brand of Surf Rod?
When it comes to surfing rods, a variety of brands are available. Some of the most popular and trusted names include Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, St. Croix, and Star Rods. All these brands offer quality rods built to last, so choosing one that fits your budget and needs is essential.
A basic model for beginners will get the job done, while experienced anglers may want to opt for something more advanced. Many brands also offer rods in various lengths and line weights, making it easy to find the right one for the type of fishing you plan on doing.
No matter which brand you choose, it’s essential to ensure your rod is easy to use and comfortable to hold, as this will make a huge difference in successful catches.
What Size Rod for Saltwater Shore Fishing?
The size of rod you will need for saltwater shore fishing depends on the type of tackle you are using and the kind of species you are targeting.
Generally, if you are using light tackle and fishing for smaller species such as whiting or bream, a medium to light rod of 6 to 7 feet should suffice.
For heavier tackle and larger species such as flounder or snapper, you will need a rod of 8 to 9 feet long and with heavier line weight.
It’s essential to consider the type of reel you are using when choosing a rod size, as some reels may require longer rods for optimum performance. Ultimately, the best way to determine the size rod for saltwater shore fishing is to experiment and see what works for you.
By practicing with different sizes, weights, and types of rods, you can find the one that is most comfortable for your style of fishing.
What Size Fishing Pole for Shore Fishing?
The size of pole you will need for shore fishing depends on a few factors, such as the species you are targeting and the type of tackle you are using.
For light to medium tackle and smaller species such as whiting or bream, a pole between 4 feet and 7 feet in length will be suitable. For heavier tackle and larger species such as flounder or snapper, you will need a pole of 8 feet to 10 feet long and heavier line weight.
You should also consider the type of reel you use when choosing a pole size, as some reels may require longer poles for optimum performance.
Ultimately, the best way to determine which size pole is best for shore fishing is to experiment and see what works for you. By practicing with different sizes, weights, and types of poles, you can find the one that is most comfortable for your style of fishing.
What Is the Best Ugly Stick Surf Fishing Rod?
The Ugly Stick is one of the market’s most famous surf fishing rods. It’s known for its durability and versatility, making it an excellent choice for seasoned and novice anglers.
Ugly Stik offers rods in various lengths, line weights, and action so that you can find the perfect one for your needs. Some models also have features such as a cushioned grip and stainless steel guides, making them ideal for saltwater fishing.
No matter which Ugly Stick you choose, it’s essential to ensure the rod is comfortable to hold and easy to use, as this will make a huge difference in successful catches.
Overall, Ugly Stick is one of the best brands for surf fishing rods, so you can go right with any model they offer.
Major Consecrations to Pick the Best Surf Fishing Rods:
- Length: The rod length varies from 7 to 14 ft. You should get the long distance surf casting rods depending on your own height; the longer, the better.
- Power: Most surf anglers will find the best rod power to be between medium-heavy and heavy rod, so start with that.
- Action: Slow action bends the rod’s center, while fast action bends the rod’s tip. Fast action is perfect for casting lures.
- Reel Seat: Get high quality, corrosion-resistant, graphite-based reel seat.
- Portability: If you are concerned about portability, get a lightweight and preferably telescopic rod or the one that can break into at least 2-4 sections.
What Are the Best Surf Fishing Rods?
These Are Our Top 7 Recommendations for a Long-Distance Surfcasting Rod for 2023:
1. Okuma Longitude Surf Graphite Rods:
You cannot ignore this efficient graphite-based surf rod when it comes to shore Fishing. Be it your own comfort or the durability against stubborn fish, Okuma has one of the best rod for surf fishing that you can use in all fishing conditions.
- Excellent sensitivity against the lightest bites
- Braid-compatible premium aluminum oxide guides
- 2-piece rod with a non-slip cork-based handle
2. St Croix triumph surf spinning rod
The premium construction of st Croix mojo surf one makes it the best surf spinning rod for anything passionate about angling. Some features about these long distance surf casting rods are:
- SCII-based graphite make long casting rods
- Frosted solver hoods with reel seat
- 5-year warranty
3. Fiblink Surf Spinning Fishing Rod
This carbon fiberglass rods has excellent sturdiness and sensitivity to bites. With its non-slip cork-based handles, fiblink surf spinning rod offers greater grip and comfort when reeling against fish.
- Precisely tuned for boat fishing
- Stainless steel and ceramic mix guides
- Stainless steel-based hood transitions above the reel seat
4. Shimano tiralejo surf spinning rod:
Want the best surf rod for accurate casting? Well, then you are better off with the Shimano Tiralejo, which literally means ‘to cast the furthest’.
- Its guides have a sturdy ‘X’ shape design
- 2 pieces breakable
- Designed for PowerPro
5. Okuma Citrix Travel Rod 4pc Spinning rod:
Want the best surf casting rod for distance that is highly portable? Meet Okuma Citrix Travel surf Rod that can be broken up and stored into 4 pieces.
- Lightweight design with EVA grips
- Stainless steel guide frames with Zirconium inserts
- Reel seats by Pac Bay Minima
6. KastKing Blackhawk II Telescopic Fishing Rod:
One of the best surf casting rods that have ample support for line and a very durable build with an elegant finish. Some features of KastKing Blackhawk II are:
- Telescopic design that expands with a single pull
- Graphite reel seats and steel guides can use in any type of fishing
- Superior high-quality build with EVA handles
7. Sougayilang Portable Spinning Telescopic Fishing Rod:
Another top-rated telescopic sift fishing rod that can expand into a full-size rod and shrink down to an easy-to-carry size. Some main features are:
- The corrosion-resistant aluminum real seat
- 3-point welded stainless steel guides
- 24-ton carbon and e-glass composition makes it lightweight
Surf Casting Rod vs. surf Spinning Rod:
The main difference between both is control when casting. The best surf spinning rods offer greater control to people who want fast action, to catch smaller fish. And it is ideal for beginners.
On the other hand, surf casting rods are more durable and can be used to catch A big fish, more advanced anglers find them better.
You might also like:
- tica ugsa series surf spinning rod
- ugly stik fishing rods
- okuma longitude surf graphite composite blank
Recommended Surf Fishing Gear for Beginners (BEST Beach Fishing Arsenal Essentials)
PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos:
If you’re starting out just now, you need a surf spinning rod and reel combo with matched components.
PLUSINNO offers the best surfcasting rod and reel combos and this rod is one of them.
- 24-ton carbon fiber with e-glass construction
- Stainless steel guides welded with ceramic inserts
- HA 3000 fishing reel with a collapsible handle
- Full Kit with Carrier Case
KastKing Fishing Tackle Bag:
After you choose the best budget surf rod, you need a terminal tackle box that can help you organize your fishing gear neat and easy to find.
This one by KastKing is all you need to jumpstart your angling regimen.
- Sore up to 7 lure boxes of 3600 size
- Water-resistant durable 420D nylon material
- 12 external and internal pockets
- Designed for function and efficiency with the angler in mind
- Extra padding offers comfort for oversize loads.
Stainless Steel Rod Stand surf fishing Rod Holder for Bank Fishing:
It can be hours before you see some reeling action and you don’t want to stay in the same position holding the rod; it’ll give your body fatigue.
This best surf fishing rod stand can hold the rod in the position you set it while you read a book and wait for the surf fish to take the bait or lure.
- Made with 304 stainless steel anti-rust material
- The highly sensitive trigger that can sense even the lightest bites
- Portable with universal fit design
Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers Braid Cutters:
You have to have pliers in your fishing arsenal to easily remove hooks and cut through tangled lines. This best surf fishing rod and reel combo braid cutter by Piscifun is one of the sturdiest pliers you can have.
- Made with anti-corrosion aluminum
- Spring-loaded – makes one-hand use easier
- Tungsten carbide-based cutters that are strong and sharp
Saltwater Fishing Lures Surf Fishing rods:
Last but not the least, when starting with angling, you will require a set of different casting lures. This saltwater fishing lure set comes with a plethora of different hooks and baits – you don’t need anything else after this set.
- Durable tackles with good corrosion resistance
- Perfect for all kinds of fishing
- Total of 150 pieces in the set
Top-rated surfcasting reels:
Looking for the best surf rod for distance casting? Well, then you are in luck because we have assembled a list below just to help you find your perfect match.
- Enhanced graphite-s body designed for saltwater. Increased...
- Sealed triple carbon fiber drag disc providing max drag up to...
- 9+1 sealed stainless steel ball bearings give you the smoothest...
- Type L aluminum power handle and precise brass pinion gear for...
- A BIG gun for the BIG game. A special weapon designed for surf...
- BIG & STRONG! Unprecedented 48LB max drag(12000 model) will put...
- 13+1 Rust-resistant ball bearings offer smooth action in both...
- HUGE CNC Aluminum spool allows you to easily put more and heavier...
- BAIT-RUNNING SYSTEM delivers a fully free-spool mode with just...
- CORROSION-RESISTANCE MATERIAL CONSTRUCTION: TITAN graphite...
- ALL UNDER YOUR CONTROL. Clear spool clicking. 10+1 HIGH POWER...
- Cool-gray finish makes this reel a great match to all popular...
- Quick set anti reverse roller bearing
- CFR cyclonic flow rotor
- Slow oscillation system
- Fast drag system
Best surf rods for the money:
Best surf fishing rods for the money: If you are someone who prefers getting maximum value for the money then you are not alone.
We also look for the best budget surf rod deals that offer the highest bang for the buck, which is why we have listed the best shore fishing rods for the money below:
- 【SENSITIVE & STRONG】PLUSINNO fishing rod blanks. All Elite...
- 【Super Smooth Power】Stainless steel guides with Ceramic...
- 【DOUBLE LOCKING REEL SEAT】 - Sturdy plastic reel seat with...
- 【Portable and Easy to Carry】- Plusinno Portable Telescopic...
- The Sougayilang Telescoping Travel Spinning Fishing Rods Are Made...
- The Exquisite Reel Seat Is Made of Corrosion Resistant CNC...
- Three Point Welded Stainless Steel Guides with Ceramic Inserts...
- Light Weight and Portable, Easily Fits In Car Trunk, Boat Hatch...
- Full Kit with Carrier Case Include: ONE Carbon Fiber Telescopic...
- THE ROD:High Density Carbon Fiber Mixed with Fiberglass Make The...
- The Reel- Sougayilang YB Fishing Reel with Left / Right...
- Light Weight and Portable, Easily Fits in Car Trunk, Boat or...
Best Travel Surf Fishing Rod:
If you are going on vacation or a camping trip but don’t want to miss out on the angling rod action then the Goture Travel Fishing rod is just what you need.
It is one of the best surfcasting rods when it comes to traveling and the best part is; that it comes with its own carry bag
- 30-ton carbon-based construction for durability and sensitivity
- High-quality ABS-based reel seats and EVA-based grips
- 7+1 anti-corrosion guides with perfect space in-between
Recommended Surf Fishing Rods and Reels:
If you’re stepping your toe into the ocean of fishing then you need the best surf rods matched with reels right from the get-go.
We have made a list of the best rod and reel combo for surf fishing 2023 that you will find very efficient and user-friendly.
Commonly Asked Questions about fishing surf rods (FAQ)
What is the Best Length for a Fishing Surf Rod?
If you are catching small-medium size fish, sharks, and rays, 7-9 feet is perfect. For other types of catch in surf fishing, 9-12 feet is recommended. However, if you are going for long casting, 12-15 feet is what you should aim for.
What Surf Fishing gear to use for Striped Bass?
Catching striped bass is not difficult if you have the right gear. We recommend going for an 8 to 10 feet surf rod coupled with a spinning reel with a 30lb rating and lure handling of up to 4oz. We suggest going for a reel that has a sealed drag, or at least, it should be water-resistant.
What color line is best for surf fishing?
If you are fishing in clear water, get a clear monofilament fishing line as it will be nearly invisible to the fish. However, for other types of water that might be dirty or have a color instead of a clear appearance, you should get a green line as it blends well with colored water.
Can I use a 7-foot rod for surf fishing?
Yes, you can use a 7 feet rod for surf fishing but remember, it is just the starting point of the cheap surf rods that should be used for surf fishing. Furthermore, do not expect the rod to catch bigger fish, you will only be able to cast closer and catch small or at best, medium power fish.
What is the best time for surf fishing?
Generally, the best time for surf fishing is considered 2 hours right before dusk and from dawn to around 10 am. This is the time when the fish feed so they are more exposed and more willing to catch on to the bait or lure. However, ask the locals in the fishing area about the timings, and you might find even better, more precise timings.
Will braided line damage my rod?
NO! This is absolutely a myth and it DOES NOT damage the rod. It DOES NOT damage the guides and also it DOES NOT damage the reels. The only difference between the other lines and braid is that you should loosen the drag to hook and land the fish more effectively.
Is a 10-feet rod good for surf fishing?
Yes! A 10-feet rod is the best surf casting rod if you want something lightweight and you are not targeting bigger fish or casting at very long distances. You can still catch the lies of sharks, redfish, and pompano. We suggest using a rod holder if you are planning to catch such fish.
What size hooks for surf fishing?
There are different sizes of hooks ranging from 12/0, which is the largest, to #24, which is the smallest. However, for surf fishing, the most commonly used hooks have sizes ranging from 12/0 to #4. You can use the hook size depending on the fish species you are going after.
Is mono or braid better for surf fishing?
Braid is better for surfcasting because it doesn’t degrade from UV rays, it has more strength, offers faster sinking, and has greater sensitivity as compared to mono. You will find more capacity and strength per diameter with braid as well.
What test line should I use for surf fishing?
As described above, braid is best for surf fishing, which is why we would suggest that you go for it as your test line. Also, get 20 to 25 test lines for better results in different conditions.
When opting for the best surf fishing rod, keep in mind the essentials like durability, sensitivity, comfort, fast action, and portability. You will be able to get a bang for your buck this way. And since we have already mentioned the best rod for surf fishing brands above with these features, you don’t even have to search for best surf fishing rods on the internet.
Related Articles you may love to read:
- How to Get the Best Fishing Rod for Your Next Angling Trip?
- How to Make a Fishing Rod in the Wild (3-Simple tips)
- Best Ultralight Fishing Rod Buyer’s Guide – Top picks & reviews
You might also like:
- tica ugsa series surf spinning rod
- ugly stik surf spinning rod
- Okuma longitude surf graphite composite blank